Kids Just Wanna have FUN!
During the recent schools out session for the holidays. I was reminded how much the kids crave entertainment. No matter what time of year the Kids Just Wanna Have Fun. And who could blame them? I dont think there are many of us who havent longed for the carefree, playful days of our youth. I have four of these carefree fun hungry kids. Keeping them entertained on a tight budget is always a challenge.
I have discovered over the years that more money doesn’t necessarily mean more fun. In fact, some of the simplest, age old activities, seem to feed their fun hungry souls the best. Remember, in the old days that is the very old days. Family gatherings provided a great source of entertainment. Its hard to believe that in todays fast paced, high tech, world that children still enjoy this kind of interaction.
I have found that for some reason, maybe because it validates their own behaviors, kids love to hear stories of when we were young. No, not the kind that remind them of how good they have it today. Im talking about our childhood antics, the times when we misbehaved, did something wrong, and the consequences.
Most of us have funny moments in our life that just stick with us. Sometimes they weren’t so funny at the time at least from our prospective, then. My kids love to hear stories of my childhood antics, when I broke the rules, how I felt about it , and what punishment I had to endure because of it. They especially like the punishment part. Some sort of satisfaction knowing that I had to endure the cruelties of punishment also!
Of course it doesn’t sound amusing to talk about times when you got in trouble. But, those memories are funny to us now that we look back at our childhood. Sure we can laugh now Were a lot smarter and see the innocence of our ways.
This is a great way to also remind ourselves that we were once kids also. And not so different than our own kids. With much the same innocence, gullibility, and scheming potential. Ahhhh
a great tool for reminding us that at least some of the behaviors we frown on in our kids is just the normal age old process of growing up! A very reassuring thought when youre ready to pull your hair out.
In some ways this ritual of reminiscing shows our children that we love them unconditionally. That we understand. Why, because weve been there, done that. And we acted in many ways , and felt in many ways , the same way they do today. Its true that some things never change. I have a shorter list of tales to tell being one of three siblings. My husband on the other hand is one of eleven children, and he can keep them in belly busting laughter for hours, leaving them begging for more. Telling not only his own antics but those of his brothers and sisters.
So, if you ever find everyone sitting around looking bored to the gills, start up a casual conversation and work in some of your funny moments in life. Youll have them begging for more and more tales. Tell some more, tell some more! And the best part .. Its Free Entertainment!
With a little research , what was that? ..research? If you’ve been to visit http://www.simpledebtfreeliving.com you know this is one of my pet peeves .. If you dont know whats out there or if you dont know what youre looking for, youre doomed to spend too much of your hard earned money!
There no disputing the fact that an Informed Consumer = More Savings! There! I said it again. Boy did that feel good. Well now that I got that off my chest let me share some ideas on this FUN thing.
- Roller skating-went once a week when I was a kid. Loved it! Guess what? My kids love it too! And its cheap if you do your research. Our local rink has a family night. Get this , $1 to get in $1 for skates if you need to rent.If you make this a regular outing, invest in the skates. Thats one of those birthday or Christmas gifts that will pay you back in the long run. My husband and I dont skate, those days are gone. Although I highly recommend it for a great workout. That means four kids can get in for $4. Three hours of fun for $4. You cant beat it!
I could get us in for even less . . .only $2. We have a local grocery store that prints coupons on back of the receipts, one of the most frequent coupons I get the local roller skating rink buy one entrance fee, get one free. I prefer not to use these for family night since my oldest daughter likes to go to the rink on teen night The rink socks it to them at $6 an entry. They know where the money is! This is a social event that many teens in the area just cant miss! This way she can get in free if she goes with a paying friend. Sometimes, just to be fair, we share the savings with her friends and each of them only has to pay $3. This way she doesn’t feel like shes taking advantage of anyone.
- Bowling: this can be a great low cost avenue for FUN if you dont get carried away. Usually you have to pay by the game, per person. So set your limits and have fun. Most lanes have bumper guards now that prevent the little ones from excessive gutter ball blues It helps put the fun back in it for the very young children. A great feature. Even for the fumbling adult. Who am I kidding, I love those bumper guards!
Most alleys have a discount night. So, try to plan your activities so you can enjoy the benefits of the discounts.
Just a Note: Both of the above businesses usually offer birthday party rates as well. If youre not into planning your own party at home (by far the most economical way) then consider checking out the party packages.
- Cookouts and Picnics: Cookouts dont have to be for special occasions. We have several wonderful parks in our area that sport wonderful playgrounds and scenic walking or biking trails. So take the boredom out of lunch one Saturday or Sunday afternoon and throw together a cookout or picnic at your local park. My kids just need to get out of the house sometimes. They dont really care where they go, as long as they go somewhere!
The internet is a great resource for finding new, different, and exciting parks in your area. Just do a simple search and you will probably be amazed at the numerous parks within driving distance from your home. So keep it interesting and travel a little bit to get to exciting new places!
An extra bonus . . . . You will be making great memories for your kids!:)
- Museums and Historical Landmarks:Dont think you have any near you? Bet Ya do! Why even in the far out sticks of nowhere you might be surprised to find a museum within a reasonable distance. I am blessed to live in a highly cultural area between Washington DC and Baltimore. So museums, tourists attractions, and historic landmarks (yes many of them Free) are abundant.But, no matter where you live, do a little research (yes, again) and Ill bet youll find some interesting attraction or museum convenient to your home. If in a rare case you dont, then plan to visit an area on a weekend trip where you can enjoy these types of historic attractions.
- Family Game Night: I know that many times after a hard days work we just want to sit, relax, and well, basically, do nothing! But, once you get in a habit of designating one night Family Game Night I guarantee youll look forward to it.
This is a great way interact with your kids. Its fun, educational, and provides an opportunity for conversation (Now thats something those teens dont offer up much). Choose games that everyone enjoys and is capable of doing. Games that suit the familys entire age span are always more fun. And, there are many out there.
If you have a large family with some large age differences, you can opt to have two game nights so you can include games suited for the younger children that the older ones might get bored with. Of course, always provide the option for older ones to be included. Sometimes, believe it or not, they just enjoy the quality time with parents and siblings. 🙂
Well, that should keep you busy for now! And Remember, it doesn’t have to cost alot to be alot of FUN!
Kids Activities Should Be Fun And Entertaining
When choosing kids activities to do, one thing that is important is to keep their interests in mind. Now, this doesn’t mean that you should limit the fun things to just things that they like. If you limit these things, you may be holding them back from finding new interests in life, and this could hinder their minds. You should always look for things that they would enjoy, whether they are things that they are interested in or not. Many parents like to combine a fun day out with something educational. This is a great way for kids to learn new things while they have fun, and there are plenty of places that you can take them to that will accomplish both of these things.
A day at the beach can be both entertaining and educational. They will have fun, yet they may be able to learn something about the creatures living in the water. They may also be able to learn a new skill. For example, if you take a boat out, they will learn something new. You could teach them how to fish, or you could teach them how to water-ski. The options are unlimited, and as a parent, you should try to expose them to as many kids’ activities as possible.
Summer camps are also great kids activities. They are designed for many different things. While spending a week at camp, kids learn how to become a little more independent. They may also learn about teamwork and how to accomplish obstacle courses. They may learn how to cook food over a fire, how to fish or how to swim. Most camps offer a variety of fun things to do, and they will let the children choose which activities to take part in. There are summer camps all over the country, and you most likely have one near your home.
Taking kids to a museum or an institute of some kind can also be fun. You can spend an entire day walking through a museum. Your children will be exposed to hundreds of different things, and this may help them find things they are interested in. You could go to a museum that offers a mummy exhibit. This is one exhibit that tends to fascinate children. Some museums also have dinosaurs to look at, and these were built from bones that were found in the ground.
As you can see, there are many different kids activities that you can choose from. Remember that children like to have fun. Keep this in mind when you begin choosing places to go because there are certain places that children would really not enjoy. There are also places that children really do not need to go to. You are the parent, and you have the freedom to pick and choose fun and interesting places for your family to go. Your children will enjoy these things, and you will also have a wonderful time with them.
Everyday Activities – Kids Learn Verbs Teach Action Words
Thank you for reading this article on kids activities.
Please check back with us as we add new articles, blogs and videos daily!
Follow Us On Pinterest & Facebook